2.07.2006

R.I.P. Rebecca

The tortilla chip is not something I think of as an invention. In fact, I thought it had "always" been around, originating in Mexico. But on Jan. 19, Rebecca Webb Carranza, the mother of the tortilla chip passed away. She worked at a Los Angeles Tortilla Factory in the 40s when she decided to fry the discarded pieces of tortilla for a family party...GENIUS!!!! I feel honored to share her name.

Now please bow your head in silence...we owe it to Rebecca.

4 comments:

...kristen... said...

man, think of what we would be getting a basket of at taco surf is she never thought of that...cheez-itz?!

Anonymous said...

If was able to eat only one kind of chip for the rest of my life it would be the tortilla chip (unlike Ollie, who would choose Baked Lays?!).

RIP Tortilla Chip woman.

Anonymous said...

What if we had to melted cheese on top of POTATO chips. Horray for discarded pieces of tortilla, grease, and the genius of torilla lady Rebecca.

Anonymous said...

Without Rebecca we would have nothing to dip in our beloved Becky's oh so delicious guacamole!